[Freeipa-users] An enhanced passwd/group/shadow -> IPA import script

Richard Bullington-McGuire rbulling at obscure.org
Mon Apr 10 00:16:11 UTC 2017

Recently I needed to import hundreds of users from the UNIX standard files
/etc/passwd and friends to a new IPA server, and I found Robert
Crittenden's excellent sketch of a Python program to do the import:

   https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2010-September/msg00105.html

I extended it to and asked for and received for permission to publish the
derived work under the MIT license. This new set of scripts supports
importing groups, group members, shadow passwords, and has some
configuration parameters baked into the scripts themselves. There is also
a script to unlock a locked account (such as admin if it gets locked) via
LDAP in the distribution. These scripts are now available here:

   https://github.com/obscureorganization/ipa-tools

Further dialog with @rcritten yielded an issue for improving performance,
I welcome contributions in the form of email posts or pull requests:

   https://github.com/obscureorganization/ipa-tools/issues/1

Thanks again go to Robert Crittenden and Red Hat for everything you've
done to improve identity management!

--
  Richard Bullington-McGuire <rbulling at obscure.org> +1 571 236 0938
  President of The Obscure Organization - https://www.obscure.org/