[Freeipa-users] Smart Card login into an Active Directory User

spammewoods at cox.net spammewoods at cox.net
Thu Feb 2 19:03:28 UTC 2017

I am running an IPA server (4.4.0) on RHEL 7.3 which is integrated with a Windows Active Directory server.   I am trying to configure the IPA server to allow the Active Directory Users to log into Gnome with a CAC smart card.  I’m having a hard time finding any instructions on how to do this.  The problem I’m having is the Common Name from the smart card is not getting associated with the Active Directory account.  I added the certificate from the smart card to the IPA server by creating a User ID override for the AD user account.  I made sure to not use authconfig to configure smart cards and I added ifp to the services line in the sssd.conf file.

I have the following packages installed:
ipa-admintools.noarch   4.4.0-14.el7_3.4
ipa-client.x86_64   4.4.0-14.el7_3.4
ipa-client-common.noarch   4.4.0-14.el7_3.4
ipa-common.noarch   4.4.0-14.el7_3.4
ipa-python-compat.noarch   4.4.0-14.el7_3.4
ipa-server.x86_64   4.4.0-14.el7_3.4
ipa-server-common.noarch   4.4.0-14.el7_3.4
ipa-server-dns.noarch  4.4.0-14.el7_3.4
ipa-server-trust-ad.x86_64  4.4.0-14.el7_3.4

I can log in with AD user accounts that are configured with UserName and Passswords, so I know that the integration is working.   When I try to log into GDM with my smart card,  I don’t get prompted for a PIN number.  It only asks for the password from the AD account.