[Freeipa-users] Recommended approach to VM snapshot prior to upgrade

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+freeipa at betteradmin.com
Wed Feb 22 23:47:52 UTC 2017

I have a 3-node cluster running FreeIPA 4.2 on RHEL 7.2.  I would like to
upgrade to RHEL 7.3 / IPA 4.4, and I want to make VM snapshots that I can
rollback to in case there are issues.  What is the recommended approach to
this?

Should services already be started when running the yum update?

Can I shut down each ipa service one by one, snapshot, then upgrade?  How
would replication be affected if I had to rollback to the older snapshot
after other nodes had been upgraded?

Or is it better to shut down all ipa services on all nodes, make snapshots,
then perform the upgrade?  Obviously that would bring down the domain
during the upgrade, but it would better ensure integrity.

Thanks,

~ Brian Mathis
@orev