[Freeipa-users] Recommended approach to VM snapshot prior to upgrade

Martin Basti mbasti at redhat.com
Thu Feb 23 08:46:06 UTC 2017

On 23.02.2017 00:47, Brian Mathis wrote:
> I have a 3-node cluster running FreeIPA 4.2 on RHEL 7.2.  I would like
> to upgrade to RHEL 7.3 / IPA 4.4, and I want to make VM snapshots that
> I can rollback to in case there are issues.  What is the recommended
> approach to this?
>
> Should services already be started when running the yum update?
It doesn't matter, updater will stop/start services as needed

> Can I shut down each ipa service one by one, snapshot, then upgrade?
> How would replication be affected if I had to rollback to the older
> snapshot after other nodes had been upgraded?
You have to rollback all snapshots for the whole topology and then you
can start IPA, otherwise replication conflicts may happen.
So I suggest to have snapshots of all servers before upgrade.

> Or is it better to shut down all ipa services on all nodes, make
> snapshots, then perform the upgrade?  Obviously that would bring down
> the domain during the upgrade, but it would better ensure integrity.
This is the best for integrity, but in case there is no/low activity on
servers, then one by one snapshots may work too.

> Thanks,
>
> ~ Brian Mathis
> @orev

Martin