[Freeipa-users] Recommended approach to VM snapshot prior to upgrade

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Feb 23 14:52:29 UTC 2017

Martin Basti wrote:

> On 23.02.2017 00:47, Brian Mathis wrote:
>> I have a 3-node cluster running FreeIPA 4.2 on RHEL 7.2.  I would like
>> to upgrade to RHEL 7.3 / IPA 4.4, and I want to make VM snapshots that
>> I can rollback to in case there are issues.  What is the recommended
>> approach to this?
>>
>> Should services already be started when running the yum update?
> It doesn't matter, updater will stop/start services as needed
>

>> Can I shut down each ipa service one by one, snapshot, then upgrade?
>> How would replication be affected if I had to rollback to the older
>> snapshot after other nodes had been upgraded?
> You have to rollback all snapshots for the whole topology and then you
> can start IPA, otherwise replication conflicts may happen.
> So I suggest to have snapshots of all servers before upgrade.
>>
>> Or is it better to shut down all ipa services on all nodes, make
>> snapshots, then perform the upgrade?  Obviously that would bring down
>> the domain during the upgrade, but it would better ensure integrity.
> This is the best for integrity, but in case there is no/low activity on
> servers, then one by one snapshots may work too.

I prefer the shut them all down method if you want a way to get back to
the pre-upgraded state.

Updating one of the masters is going to replicate out a bunch of
changes, so if something goes wrong and you restore that snapshot those
updates have already been replicated out. Would this cause problems?
Ideally no, but you wouldn't have the pre-upgrade systems either.

rob