[Freeipa-users] CentOS 6 -> 7 migration

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:40:04 UTC 2017

On 02/26/2017 05:08 AM, Rob Verduijn wrote:
> You should consider setting up a temporary vm to migrate from.
> On one of your client systems, I assume you got at least 1 ipa client
>
> Try looking at http://libguestfs.org/virt-p2v.1.html to migrate your
> current system to a vm  (side effect : instant full backup)
>
> When you got the vm up and running you can reinstall your main system
> with the new os and ipa.
> Then replicate the old ipa to the new one.

Hmm.  The system that runs IPA is the "network server" in my home
network.  It runs various services -- DNS, NTP, CUPS, squid, etc. -- as
well as routing between various VLANs.  So simply P2V'ing it would be
a major project in its own right.

What about this, though ...

1.  Set up a new CentOS 7 VM running IPA

2.  Replicate the IPA data from the old CentOS 6 system to the VM.

3.  Install CentOS 7 on the original system

4.  Replicate the IPA data back from the VM

Will this work?