[Freeipa-users] Switch certificates from external CA to internal

Florence Blanc-Renaud flo at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 09:10:42 UTC 2017

On 01/12/2017 05:40 PM, Jeff Goddard wrote:
> Thanks Flo,
>
> My system is still in a bad state as I got this as a result of the command:
>
> [root at id-management-1 ~]# ipa-cacert-manage renew --self-signed
> Renewing CA certificate, please wait
> Resubmitting certmonger request '20170101055025' timed out, please check
> the request manually
> The ipa-cacert-manage command failed.
>
> The relevant output from getcert list was:
> Request ID '20170101055025':
>         status: NEED_CSR_GEN_TOKEN
>         stuck: yes
>         key pair storage:
> type=NSSDB,location='/etc/pki/pki-tomcat/alias',nickname='caSigningCert
> cert-pki-ca',token='NSS Certificate DB',pin set
>         certificate:
> type=NSSDB,location='/etc/pki/pki-tomcat/alias',nickname='caSigningCert
> cert-pki-ca',token='NSS Certificate DB'
>         CA: dogtag-ipa-ca-renew-agent
>         issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=INTERNAL.EMERLYN.COM
> <http://INTERNAL.EMERLYN.COM>
>         subject: CN=localhost
>         expires: 2037-01-01 06:28:46 UTC
>         key usage: digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyCertSign,cRLSign
>         pre-save command:
>         post-save command:
>         track: yes
>         auto-renew: yes
>
> I took the step of stopping tracking on that cert which was a mistake
> and now I'm having a hard time with the syntax of adding it back.

Hi Jeff,

You would need the following to start-tracking the cert:
1. get the internal PIN
# grep 'internal=' /etc/pki/pki-tomcat/password.conf

2. monitor the cert
# getcert start-tracking -d /etc/pki/pki-tomcat/alias -n 'caSigningCert
cert-pki-ca' -P <pin> -c dogtag-ipa-ca-renew-agent -B
/usr/libexec/ipa/certmonger/stop_pkicad -C
'/usr/libexec/ipa/certmonger/renew_ca_cert "caSigningCert cert-pki-ca"'

HTH,
Flo.