[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA 4.4 plugin migration path

Peter Fern freeipa at 0xc0dedbad.com
Tue Jan 17 10:30:19 UTC 2017

On 17/01/17 20:39, David Kupka wrote:
> in 4.4 we split the plugins to the server and client plugins. Simple
> plugins (like server plugin) needs to exist only on server and all
> what is needed is to move it from ipalib/plugins to ipaserver/plugins.
>
> But if commands in your plugin define interactive_prompt_callback
> (like dns plugin) or forward (like vault plugin) you will need to
> split the client and server part of the plugin.

Hi David,

I tried that, but it didn't end well.  My plugin is quite simple, just
adds an attribute to the user model and UI/CLI extensions to manage it.
However it looks like plugin structure has changed (I see @register
decorators(?) and such), and ipalib.user no longer exists.  My old
plugin is available here:

https://github.com/pdf/freeipa-user-mailalternateaddress/blob/master/user_mailalternateaddress.py

Unfortunately Python is not a language I'm particularly familiar, so
I've not come across some of the patterns used in the new plugins, and
any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete