[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA 4.4 plugin migration path

David Kupka dkupka at redhat.com
Tue Jan 17 11:35:27 UTC 2017

On 17/01/17 12:16, Peter Fern wrote:
> On 17/01/17 21:48, David Kupka wrote:
>> Ok, your plugin is not really a plugin but that should not be a problem.
>> To make it work:
>>
>> 1) replace "from ipalib.plugins.user import user" with "from
>> ipaserver.plugins.user import user"
>> 2) make sure "user_mailalternateaddress.py" is also in ipaserver/plugins/
>> 3) restart httpd
>>
> Thank you, that gets the web UI working as expected, but I seem to be
> missing the CLI switch.

That is probably caused by client API schema cache that was also added
in 4.4. Once the schema is downloaded and stored in cache it's validity
is not checked for the next hour.
You can either force the check to be performed immediately:

$ ipa -v -e force_schema_check=1 user-add --help

or remove the cache:

$ rm -r ~/.cache/ipa/

You can find more about this feature and related changes on its design
page [1]

> I'm also adding an objectclass to the default userobjectclasses (and
> updating existing users) in my install script, but it looks like maybe I
> can use the 'updates' mechanism for this, is that right?  If so, is that
> mechanism documented anywhere?

Adding objectclass or generally any attribute to many entries (users
tends to be numerous) may take really really long and is not a good
idea. It's better to add such objectclass on demand when the attribute
is added to the entry for the first time.

But I agree with Alexander, in longer run it would be much better if you
create and package proper plugin.

[1] http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/API_Compatiblity

--
David Kupka