[Freeipa-users] Options for existing CA/DNS infrastructure

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Mon Mar 20 01:22:15 UTC 2017

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017, Rob Foehl wrote:

> What's the best way to play nice with existing PKI -- generate a CA CSR at
> installation time and sign that?  Is there any provision for automatically
> renewing these certs, say if the external CA were to be subsumed by a
> dedicated Dogtag instance?

I'm guessing the complete lack of a response does not bode well for this
idea...

Ideally, I'd rather not manage an external CA at all; existing use cases
are service certificates and a handful of user or device-specific client
certs.  I've been digging into the sub-CA support a bit more, and it might
be possible to cover everything within FreeIPA, possibly adding
otherwise-unused principals as needed.

The lingering question, then: what to do with the existing CA?

I've found a few threads suggesting it may be possible to wedge an
existing cert/key into a new IPA instance at install time, but they're all
light on specifics.  Any other ideas for a smooth transition from this CA
to one entirely owned by FreeIPA, maybe within 3 years or so? ;)

-Rob