[Freeipa-users] Options for existing CA/DNS infrastructure

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Mon Mar 13 02:47:02 UTC 2017

I'm looking at deploying FreeIPA in a few environments with substantial
DNS and/or CA infrastructure, and have some choices to make...

How much trouble will I have if FreeIPA is delegated a zone like
ipa.example.com with all clients in example.com or other children?  (No
overlap with AD-managed zones, but in at least one case autodiscovery
won't be possible due to mixed clients in the parent zone.)

What's the best way to play nice with existing PKI -- generate a CA CSR at
installation time and sign that?  Is there any provision for automatically
renewing these certs, say if the external CA were to be subsumed by a
dedicated Dogtag instance?

Advice and experience appreciated, before I paint myself into a corner
somewhere...  Thanks!

-Rob