[Freeipa-users] LDAP size limit and the FreeIPA web UI

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Wed May 3 08:14:58 UTC 2017

On 05/02/2017 10:50 PM, Jay Fenlason wrote:
> One of my users is having trouble because the FreeIPA web interface
> does not work well with a DNS zone that contains more than 2000
> entries.  When he goes to Network Services->DNS->DNS Zones and selects
> the problematic zone, he gets an error popup saying the results were
> truncated because the number of entries exceeds the LDAP server's
> search limit.  I went in to IPA Server->Configuration and changed the
> Search size limit, but raising it over 2000 requires manually
> modifying the LDAP server configuration.
>
> Are there any plans to improve the web UI so that it does not require
> such a large size limit when viewing a DNS zone?  Are there
> other GUI tools that can be used to view/edit the DNS zone data (and
> that don't also suffer from hitting these search size limits)?
>
> I'm using ipa-server-4.4.0-14.el7.centos.6.x86_64 if it matters.
>
>      -- JF

Web UI has the same size limits which are imposed by LDAP server for the
authenticated user.

In 4.5 version the warning was changed to be less annoying.

There are currently no specific plans to change Web UI in this area. A
think which was considered is to disable paging for post pages (e.g.
user and host search) and rely more on size-limits and searching. The
reasoning is that browser through a lot of records is not very usable
and it is better to search.

So I would ask in different way. How would you envision the Web UI
should behave for so many records? E.g. just in DNS area.

--
Petr Vobornik