HTML version of README for Live USB

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sat Aug 30 04:45:04 UTC 2008

Peter Scheie wrote:

>> The GIMP should theoretically be able to do all this?
>
> Because I'm a command line kinda person at heart. ;-)  I was just
> thinking I could do a 'for' loop in the directory with all the image
> files to reduce them to 16-bit color.  Yes, one can script things with
> the Gimp, but I've never done it, but I have done some looping things
> with ffmpeg for some videos, and was just looking for something similar.

Image manipulation is really a less reasonable thing to use command line
tools upon unless you are doing mass automatic batch processing.  In the
case of image manipulation where you are trying to achieve small file
sizes without dramatic reductions in quality, it makes a WHOLE LOT more
sense to use something like GIMP where you can adjust parameters and
instantly see (without saving) how much it degrades the image?

I dunno, whatever you can use to achieve the desired output is fine...

Warren