help me...! Another requirement

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Thu Dec 18 19:19:22 UTC 2008

Magesh,

As I understand it, the BIOS must know how to get the MBR off the boot
device, so that means the BIOS must know how to read a SCSI device.
It does this by means of BIOS extension code from a ROM on the SCSI
interface card.

Similarly, network booting is done with BIOS extension code from a ROM
on the network card.

Init/udev are used later on, after the kernel is running, to rescan all
devices; not just the ones needed for booting.

Automounting usually refers to the NFS process of only mounting a
directory over the network when it is read.  That happens later after
the system is fully running.  See autofs.

John