Login in LDM keeps getting slower and slower

Odin Nøsen odin at gnuskole.no
Wed Oct 1 15:37:24 UTC 2008

We've seen some strange behavior this all of out LDM-clients. For each login you do on a
client it takes longer and longer time before you'll get logged into the gnome-session.
There is no load on the server or the client - it seems to be some kind of timeout. The
only thing that fixes the problem is to reboot the LDM-client, which is something that
is not practical on LDM-client in computerlabs that have 20-40 logins a day on each
computer.

This behavior is noticeable after only 4-5 logins. Then the login time varies from 35
sec. to 2-3 minutes from the authentication to gnome is ready to run. Reboot the
LDM-client, and login only takes 4-5 seconds.

I've updated all the LDM-clients and the TSs to the latest updates. We have another
school in out community that also have exactly the same problem.

Regards,
Odin