volume settings don't persist after client reboot

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Tue Oct 21 13:33:18 UTC 2008

On my Dell Latitude thin clients, the sound volume is at maximum for the first
person to login after the client is booted, which is startling & annoying (and
probably frightening for small children).  Lowering the volume will persist
after the user logs out and logs in again (and perhaps even if a different user
logs in?  Can't remember now).  But once the client is rebooted, it goes back to
maximum volume no matter who logs in.  I would have thought the volume setting
would be stored in some Gnome file local to the user, no?  Further, it would be
nice if root could set a default volume level for all the clients.  Any ideas?

Peter