Sound on old Indigo iMacs

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 19:39:46 UTC 2009

Gary Larizza Jr. wrote:
> Hi All,
> I found this posting online
> --> http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/SoundCards#Sound_on_Imac_Indigo_as_a_thin_c as
> a starter for trying to get the sound to work on our indigo iMacs.  It's
> the last piece to the puzzle.  Does anyone have any pointers?  I
> implemented the suggestions on this site into the
> /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/ppc/lts.conf file, but it didn't fix the sound.
> Is there a command you can run from a shell on the client (iMac) that
> will give you a hw profile of which card the machine is using?  I recall
> seeing that for the video card, but can't find anything for the sound.
>  I appreciate the continued pointers!

dmasound_pmac has not existed as a driver for several years now.  The
closest thing shipped in the kernel is snd-powermac, although in my
experience it doesn't seem to load automatically.

lspci on an Indigo PowerMac failed to display any sound devices.  This
might have something to do with the driver not loading.  I haven't tried
attempting to load it manually.

Warren