[K12OSN] benchmarks and bandwidth

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Apr 9 19:15:51 UTC 2004

Eight years ago or so, I recall seeing some study that showed that the CPU in
most office PCs spent 80-90% of their cycles in an idle state.  As I used to
explain to people, that's not surprising when you consider how many zillion
milli-second cycles occur between each keystroke even as the user types away in
a word processor, plus all the time when the user is on the phone, talking to
people, etc.  People seemed to understand that.  Most of those idle cycles were
just wasted.  They were heavily used when things like the computer was booting,
programs were loading, recalculating, etc. but that was a small percent of the
time.  They understood that, too.  That was back in the days of '300mhz
screamers'.  Fast-forward eight years and in any given second on a PC there are
likely to be ten times as many cpu cycles--but people still type at the same
speed.  Granted, there's more going on in the complexity of the software, but
processing words and so on hasn't changed much.  But the number of idle cpu
cycles has jumped signficantly.  What a terminal server does is allow you to use
those cycles among several people rather than just 'throw them away'.  The idea
that everyone needs their own high-power PC is ridiculously wasteful.  And when
you remind people of what they were doing eight years ago (adults, not kids),
they seem to recognize that today's activities are not a whole lot more complex
than back then, and perhaps this 'need get new hardware & software' cycle is a
bit of a scam.  This also explains why, particularly in Unix/Linux, RAM is so
much more important than CPU speed.

This isn't benchmark data that you can show people, but it does put it in terms
they can relate to.

Petre