[K12OSN] Student problem

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Apr 28 12:24:05 UTC 2004

The drop box answer is in this week's archives.  It's actually pretty
easy to do.

For pulling Internet access, it'll take just a bit of work, but it's
quite feasible.  The available browsers on a K12LTSP server are
Epiphany, Mozilla, Konqueror, Lynx, and Galeon.  This is not a foolproof
way to do it (the foolproof way to do it requires an authenticating Web
proxy server--not exactly trivial), but it's quick 'n' easy and will
typically stop most folks.  You take those executables, make sure
they're owned by root, set group ownership on them to "internetusers" or
something like that, and change your ownership to 750 on those executables.

Now, to let people actually use those browsers, you simply add them to
the "internetusers" group, and voila, you're done!

Yes, there are ways to defeat this.  I can think of two right off the
top of my head.  However, if a kid does that, you can boot 'em from the
computers for the rest of the year, since the kid had to go out of his
or her way to defeat it (this is very easily shown).  Also, since you
have a policy of "no Internet" for kids that go porn surfing, there may
be other disciplinary actions possible.  Finally, that lab needs to be
rearranged if teachers cannot watch their students.

One last thing:  if folks can go surfing porn by just typing in directly
"http://www.playboy.com/" or something like that, then your Internet
Content Filtering system needs to be seriously re-evaluated.  Just
stopping porn sites from search engines is not sufficient and would
never pass muster in our district.  I'm surprised your e-rate funding
hasn't been pulled!  Note that this is not a criticism of you or your
school.  It's a technical criticism of what the district's bosses chose
to buy, and they really need to consider something a whole lot better,
say, Dan's Guardian or its commercial version, SmoothGuardian.

--TP