[K12OSN] LTSP on same network as Windows

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Aug 21 21:52:52 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 15:04, Yancey B. Jones wrote:

> I have installed gigabit switches on each floor with full compliance CAT5E
> cable running to the server room. We are looking at about 50-75 thin clients
> spread throughout the school. I can add separate switches if necessary, I
> just want to make sure that it is necessary before I ask for them. The
> entire network will consist of approximately 100 Windows XP Pro clients for
> students, 50 Windows clients for teachers/staff, and eventually about 75
> thin clients.

Gig uplinks from the server and a gig backbone across switches
sounds like enough.  The client nics will probably be 100M
anyway.

> The thin clients will be in "clusters" of 3-4 and I am planning on using a
> 5-port 10/100 switch at each "cluster" to reduce the number of cable runs.

Still should be OK - at somewhere around 10 clients you might want
a switch with a gig uplink.

> We will install one LTSP server at first,
> when we reach capacity on that one then we will put a second one in. Will a
> need a separate network for each LTSP server or can the be load balanced
> somehow?

The 'thin client lab' might be the place to drop the 2nd server
since it would be convenient to isolate that traffic with a
2-NIC setup and separate switch.  Are you going to have a
separate server for home directories?  That way they could be
samba-shared to the windows clients without additional load on
the k12ltsp server and it will make it easy to add the 2nd
ltsp server.

----
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com