[K12OSN] does my client machine have to be linux/windows?

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Aug 23 12:29:42 UTC 2004

Debbie Schiel wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I'm a primary school teacher/web designer in Queensland, Australia,
> with average php scripting skills and a mac/windows background.
>
> My aim is to switch our school (and maybe one day the entire state!)
> to Linux & OSS.
> But I'm having a slow start:
>
> Have recently installed K12LTSP on one machine with two ethernet
> cards, one connected to the net and the other to a switch. I have one
> other old windows machine connected to the switch (as a trial/demo)
> and now I'm stuck. I'm not finding it all as easy as it says on
> www.k12ltsp.org ("up in 20 minutes").
> A linux pro physically at my side would be great but since I haven't
> the money to fly anyone over here's 2 simple questions to start with:
>
> Q - does my client machine have to be linux/windows?
>
> Q - where on the desktop/ redhat 'start' menu do I find rdesktop?
>
> Oh, and I only installed the second network card after I installed
> K12ltsp onto the server machine - would the easiest thing be to
> re-install k12ltsp so that it can configure everything automatically?
>

> My school by the way:
> www.redeemer.qld.edu.au
> (spot the OSS)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Debbie

G'day, Debbie!

You can do a reinstall, and that certainly does work, but, in my
experience, you don't have to.

When you do installed the second NIC, I'm betting that Kudzu (the Red
Hat hardware autodetecter) found it and set it up for use as "eth1".
Kudzu will load the module (device driver) for the new NIC and will
leave your pre-existing NIC ("eth0") alone.  What Kudzu doesn't do is
give the NIC an IP address; we have to do that manually.  To do this,
just run the "redhat-config-network" program.  It will present you with
a screen to do IP address configuration, as well as some other things.

As for rdesktop, I'm not sure if that's in the default install, as I
virtually always choose the "Custom" install no matter what OS I'm
installing (I'm a geek).  If not, you can easily install it from the
CDs.  Just pop in each CD, drill down till you get to the RPMS
subdirectory, and look for something starting with "rdesktop".  Install
that with either the GUI or the command line (rpm -ivh
myfiletoinstall.rpm), and you should be good to go.  That said, to
actually use rdesktop in real terms, you'll need to either do Start /
Run Program, or use the command line, because rdesktop needs the IP
address of the Windows server to which you want to talk.

--TP
Do you GNU!? <http://www.gnu.org>
Tired of spam? With Mozilla Thunderbird
<http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird>, you have the best spam protection