[K12OSN] OpenOffice troubles

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Aug 23 20:44:44 UTC 2004

I had OOo 1.1.0 on a k12ltsp/FC1 box.  I installed OOo 1.1.2 without
removing the old version.  The old version appeared to be installed in
/usr/lib/openoffice, while the new version installed in
/opt/OpenOffice1.1.2.  There were also startup scripts in /usr/bin that
called the /usr/lib/openoffice binaries; for example, oowriter was just
a shell script that called 'exec usr/bin/ooffice
private:factory/swriter'.  After installing the new version, I renamed
all the /usr/bin/oo* files and created new ones that were symlinks to
the respective parts in /opt/OpenOffice1.1.2. I also renamed
~/.openoffice so that a new one was created the first time I started the
new version. That worked but a peculiarity appeared in Writer: Sometimes
the cursor appears a few characters ahead of what where the text
actually appears in the document.  Shutting down OOo didn't fix it, nor
did logging out and logging back in.  And it doesn't happen all the
time, nor is the number of characters between the cursor and the text
always the same.  Figuring it might be some sort of library conflict, I
removed the /usr/bin/oo* symlinks and renamed the old /usr/bin/oo*
scripts back to their original names, e.g. oowriter which would then
call the 1.1.0 version in /usr/lib/openoffice.  I also renamed the new
~/.openoffice and moved the old ~/.openoffice back into place.  So, I
figured I should be able to start up the old version just as before.
But every time I try to run it, it tries to go through the initial
startup setup.  Even if I go through it, it tries to create
~/OpenOffice.org.1.1.0, and even then it doesn't start, and if I try to
start it again, it just goes through the setup again.  So, I'm a bit
perplexed.  Any ideas about how to get out of this?  Thanks.

Petre