[K12OSN] Netatalk Problems

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Thu Aug 26 23:14:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 18:34, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> The reason I bring this up is that we were going to train in the staff
> today on how to access their new Linux shares via the Macintosh clients,
> but when I went to demonstrate the machines locked up immediately after
> authentication (just saw a shadow of the window to come that is supposed
> to list the shares available for mounting).  I was wondering if this is
> typical what you were experiencing when the files corrupted.

You might try a newer version of netatalk. I've been rebuilding whatever
version is newest from Fedora Development, with good results. YMMV.

We experienced similar symptoms w/ the netatalk 1.5 -> 1.6 transition.
All was fixed for us by nuking the existing .AppleDB folders in home
directories and shares and setting appropriate permissions on the
.AppleDB in the shares once they'd been recreated.

Log in once from a Mac as someone who can write to the share.
Copy a file up to the share.
$ chgrp -R your_group /path/to/share
$ chmod -R g+rw /path/to/share
$ chmod g+s /path/to/share/.AppleDB

Again, this was only needed on our shares. Home directories weren't
affected, because they obviously had ownership and permissions to write
to the .AppleDB folder. Everything has been hunky-dory since we did
that.

--
Dan Young
Parkrose School District