[K12OSN] LTSP and VNC

Richardson John Paul MSgt 373 TRS Det 5/CSS JohnPaul.Richardson at Charleston.af.mil
Tue Aug 24 17:55:49 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I'm against a brick wall here.  I have searched Google and the archive for this mailing list until my eyes have become crossed.  I have the following LTSP problem that I am hoping someone can help me with.

I have K12LTSP 4.1 up and running; 1 server and 3 workstations.  All workstations are coming up nicely and users can log in to GNOME desktops fine.  VNC is another story.  The environment I am trying to create is one in which the instructor can take over a students desktop when necessary using VNC.  Everything I have tried to get this working has resulted in failure.

VNC works when using the standard vncserver/vncviewer utils.  I start vncserver on one workstation then go to another and start vncviewer and am presented with the standard Twm desktop.

Next I tried using x0rfbserver.  When I start x0rfbserver on the server, it runs fine; no errors.  I can then connect from a workstation to the server using vncviewer and see/use the desktop on the server.  When I reverse this procedure (start x0rfbserver on a workstation and try to connect from the server or another workstation) the RFB window appears but as soon as I try to connect with vncviewer, x0rfbserver dies with the following error:
X Error of failed request: BadAccess (attempt tpo access private resource denied)
Major opcode of failed request: 144 (MIT-SHM)
Minor opcode of failed request: 1 (X_ShmAttach)
Serial number of failed request: 571

Google gave me a few returns on this but not being an X programmer, it was foriegn to me.  One result also said to try using x11vnc which I did.  This had the exact same results.

Next came use of x0vncserver.  No matter where I try to start (using -log *:stdout:100) this I get the following:
main: XTest extgension present - version 2.2
VNCServerST: creating single-threaded server x0vncserver
VNCServerST: shutting down server x0vncserver
main: unable to bind listening socket: Address already in use (98)
~ImageCleanup called

This same error occurs when I try to run x0vncserver on the server but with the addition of one line:
~Image called - usingShm 1

I run x0vncserver with -rfbport 5800 and it seems to start fine (main: :Listening on port 5800) but any connection attempts from other workstations (using vncviewer 192.168.0.254:#) are refused with the following error:

vncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection refused
Unable to connect to VNC server

So that is where I am.  I help that can get me moving again is most appreciated.

J Paul Richardson