[K12OSN] Hp T5515

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Fri Aug 27 22:49:46 UTC 2004

I have 329 unread messages in my k12os box... so I'm really behind... but
since my name is here, I'll comment on this right away.

The HP thin clients are GREAT!  It's what I use every day at work.  The
video is an ATI chipset, so the video is accelerated, and the soundcard is
detected automatically.  (So is the ATI chipset)  They cost around $300
though, so there are cheaper options.

The Capio One *did* finally boot, after a lot of help from Huck -- but the
only video driver it supports is VESA, and it's slow and "studdery" when
used.  I was VERY dissapointed with the capios, and sent all but 2 of the
ones I bought back.  (I had taken 2 apart trying to figure out hardware
types, etc -- so i couldn't return 'em)

Lastly, I'm not sure if the model number has changed -- so if you get an
HP, make sure the ati chipset is still there, it works great.

Good luck!

-Shawn

Huck said:
> Shawn Powers had one of those HP thin clients working...
> I have 2 different ones working...(although I don't use sound at all so
> I haven't played with that)
> one is the YEStation Mini from http://affirmative.net  ... got a good
> supplier contact who gets me $271 per unit
> the other is the CapioOne...forgot vendor but can google it...and it was
> $200...
> The support on both is great... the advantage is size and power
> usage...on the YEStation Mini.. 10watts total power usage...vs 110 or so
> from the CapOne
> and the Mini mounts to the back of LCD monitors =) juicy...
>
> --Huck
>
> Dean Mumby wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I am looking into thin clients and have discovered this one from Hp .
>> I was wondering if anyone had / is using these with k12LTSP 4.1 and
>> what reports good or bad there may be. I was considering going for the
>> jammin clients from www.disklessworkstations , but having local access
>> to the hp's in South Africa will greatly reduce the cost of the clients.
>>
>> Regards
>> Dean

Shawn Powers
Technology Director
Inland Lakes Schools
PHN: 231-238-6868 x9174
FAX: 509-356-7024
spowers at inlandlakes.org
http://techcorner.inlandlakes.org

The views, opinions, visions, thoughts, comments, sarcastic whims,
forecasts, poetic outbursts, cynical wit, future plans, implementation
ideas, OS preference, curricular insight, ice cream preference, or
anything else I might infer are not the views of Inland Lakes Schools.
Pretty much everything I say, do, think, or imply with punctuation should
be considered my own delusions, and ignored completely.