[K12OSN] MAP Testing through the NWEA (Measures of Academic Progress)

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Wed Dec 8 11:41:01 UTC 2004

Rob Owens wrote:
> While I think the best solution would be to get the state to stop
> telling you which operating system you should be using, that might
> not be the easiest solution.

After donating a thin-client lab to one of our schools, the
administration purchased a web-based application that required a
specific browser.  A few of our volunteers called the company, mentioned
that their school district was considering making a purchase, and asked
if the product worked with Mozilla.

No, but the idea of a sale simply from making the product more standards
compliant was too good to ignore.  The developers made the change.  The
free market, entrepreneurialism, education, and open source all prevailed.

--scott