[K12OSN] MAP Testing through the NWEA (Measures of Academic Progress)

Rita Gibson rgibson57 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 9 19:25:43 UTC 2004

Ben wrote:

Rita,

Our school gives a version of the MAP testing for statewide mandated testing (Idaho Standards Achievement Test --ISAT) The TAA really does require IE, but that can (and should) be run from a staff computer. There is a actual client application which does require windows (or Mac)for the testing, in our case I haven't had time to try and get it working with wine, so I don't know if that is possible.

In our case, the client application and all test data is stored on our K12LTSP server and and accessed via samba from windows machines. (our thin client lab dual boots windows)

There may be a case to be made in Idaho for a linux port, because it is state mandated testing, so in a way they are requiring us to use windows or mac because the state is trying to get everyone off of the paper version of the test.

I would be intersted in any additional information you discover,
Ben
<<

Ben,

Do  you know of any other schools in your area (required to take the MAP testing) that use k12ltsp/ltsp in their labs? We were wondering about the possibility of the testing developers thinking about schools who have linux based labs, but want to or are required to use this testing assessment? We called the NWEA tech support, and they said that the testing typically occurs in a windows or Mac lab environment. Tech support said for us to call the NWEA salesperson to discuss issues surrounding our linux based network. We just sort of wanted to have an idea of how many schools were out there who might be unable to utilize this computer-based testing because if its incompatibility with ltsp. Is it worthwhile to spend the time and energy to see if the software will work in our lab with Wine?

Thanks for any input you can provide. If this is off-topic for this list feel free to email us privately.

Rita Gibson
RMSEL Tech

Rita Gibson\r\nrgibson57 at earthlink.net