[K12OSN] why RAID?

Rob Owens robowens at myway.com
Fri Dec 3 12:14:00 UTC 2004

I see a lot of posts here asking about setting up a RAID system.  My ignorance and inexperience will no doubt show through here, but why is it so important to get RAID set up?  Why not just have a cron job that makes a copy of /home or any other important directories?  It could be set to run every night, or even after every class period.  It could be set with a low priority via the "nice" command so that it doesn't interfere much with the read/write operations of users who are currently logged in.

Is this a bad idea?

-Rob