[K12OSN] Re: [K12OSN ] Teacher Forums

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Dec 6 18:22:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 11:53, John Ingleby wrote:

> That would be a useful refinement.

The ability to easily see new (to you) posts is a nice feature
of phpbbs and one of the few things that appeals to me compared
to mailing lists.  It keeps a cookie so you don't have to log in
every time from the same machine but you can log in elsewhere and
still be in sync.

>  Unfortunately, I don't have
> first-hand experience of using Gmane because our Mediawiki site
> will "real soon" be able to send an email alert whenever a
> watched page changes.

I haven't tracked the feature sets of various wiki versions but
this has been in twiki for years.  I also like its plug-in concept
for extensions but it can be a little tricky to install.  It would
be nice if an installer script came packaged with k12ltsp.  I'm still
a version behind current though, so perhaps it is better now:
http://twiki.org/.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com