[K12OSN] Re: Fun Network Games?

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Mon Dec 6 22:21:39 UTC 2004

Carl Keil wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can I hijack this thread?
>
> I've been curious for a while about this subject.  Are these games
> that you are mentioning things where kids can play against each other,
> in real time, from different thin clients?

Yes.

> I was wondering if there were any real time, multiplayer games that
> would really take advantage of the whole thin client thing, meaning
> that all the games were actually being played on the same computer, so
> network latency isn't a factor even though graphic latency is?

3D OpenGL games will not be well suited cause they eat too much cpu and
require accel. on the clients. Also, full screen fast moving graphics
will not be well suited since the network will become saturated trying
to update client screens. But Freeciv and KOTH don't use OpenGL and are
not fast paced action games. So they would be ideal.

>   I dunno, any ideas about games particularly suited to a thin client
> architecture?  Also, is there a blanket way to make game preferences
> and high scores universal to the server, not locked to individual
> accounts?

KOTH doesn't have a persistent high scores but I'm guessing Freeciv
does. Both games have a  server app and a client app. The server app
would be responsible for saving persistent data. So it's a feature of
the game itself.

--

Robert Arkiletian