Re: [K12OSN] Re: Fun Network Games?

Carl Keil wrote:

Hi,

Can I hijack this thread?

I've been curious for a while about this subject. Are these games that you are mentioning things where kids can play against each other, in real time, from different thin clients?

Yes.

I was wondering if there were any real time, multiplayer games that would really take advantage of the whole thin client thing, meaning that all the games were actually being played on the same computer, so network latency isn't a factor even though graphic latency is?

3D OpenGL games will not be well suited cause they eat too much cpu and require accel. on the clients. Also, full screen fast moving graphics will not be well suited since the network will become saturated trying to update client screens. But Freeciv and KOTH don't use OpenGL and are not fast paced action games. So they would be ideal.

I dunno, any ideas about games particularly suited to a thin client architecture? Also, is there a blanket way to make game preferences and high scores universal to the server, not locked to individual accounts?

KOTH doesn't have a persistent high scores but I'm guessing Freeciv does. Both games have a server app and a client app. The server app would be responsible for saving persistent data. So it's a feature of the game itself.

--

Robert Arkiletian C++ GUI tutorial http://fltk.org/links.php?V219