[K12OSN] Re: Help! Please!

You're a little light on details, but here goes

Ascension Tech wrote:
Oh man, am I screwed! I had a filesystem problem after a reboot
saying 'extended attribute block...reference count 18 should be 17"
for md2 . I freaked out and ended up accidentally fscking up my md1
array instead (I think may be /boot. doe!). Then it was saying "bad
magic number in super-block". Booting says after grub "VFS: can't
find ext3 filesystem on dev md1".

This is very odd. Fscking the disk shouldn't hurt it. Was it mounted at the time?

> Linux Rescue from the cd can't find
a file system at all but I think that may be sata driver related
because knoppix sees some of it, thankfully the raid 1 partitions of
my /home.

You're good then, no?

Obviously I'm new to this and I wouldn't say this machine
is in full production (planned for the 2nd semester). But if it can't
be saved I would like to save at least my /home directory, which has a
webmin batch file of users as well as some peoples docs. Can someone
help me recover some or all this?

Do you have a back-up of the partition (/boot?) that you destroyed? Or another machine with an identical partition that you could copy? Then you could reformat and dump the backup.

If I try and copy /home to another
drive do I need knoppix to recognize it as a raid partition

This would probably be the safest thing to do.

or can I
just copy one since they are exactly the same size?

As a matter of fact, you can. A single device from a RAID1 drive will mount and read like a regular drive, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. If you do this, you may want to mount it read-only if you can.

> For the original
reference count error should I just have let it fix?