[K12OSN] Database for school desktop use

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Feb 21 10:59:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 09:25, Andy Rabagliati wrote:

> I almost feel like I should apologise for asking for this - if
> you want a real DB, just get an engine and use a front-end...
>
> However - I think it is important that it has a file-based store,
> so there are no permissions issues. 30 kids messing around with
> mysql databases - even /I/ have problems creating tables .. :-)

There is nothing really magic about the way mysql or postgresql
work.  They just have standard wrappers to start and control
them that assume the data should not be disposable.  If you
want per-user copies that can be deleted and recreated anytime
without affecting anyone else, you just need to run a copy
per user with a configuration that keeps everything under the
home directory.  If you use networking, each would have to
run on a different port but that should be the only thing
even slightly complicated.  Almost all useful unix/linux
programs have command line options that allow them to be
started with non-default configurations (like the path
to a different config file) and can have multiple instances
running at once.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com