[K12OSN] Terminal Services for Windows

Chris Hobbs chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
Thu Jun 24 23:13:58 UTC 2004

Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:

> Shawn Powers wrote:
>
>> I know it's possible with citrix, but is it possible with standard
>> Terminal Services (via win2k3 server) to send a single app rather
>> than an entire desktop?
>>
>> My plan now it to show our secretaries how to use multiple desktops
>> in KDE, and have one desktop be an rdesktop session.  If I could just
>> get an app to work singly via rdesktop (I have the full licensing
>> needed), that'd be even better.
>>
> To my knowledge, Windows itself does not have--nor ever has
> had--anything like the X11 protocol.  With Windows, the GUI is tied to
> that specific instance of the underlying OS and itself knows nothing
> about remote access or TCP/IP.  Therefore, Windows apps know nothing
> about TCP/IP connections for displaying themselves remotely either.
> So, you'll need to give 'em the whole desktop, not just one app.

Not quite. Windows Terminal Services does in fact offer the ability to
run a single app and not an entire desktop.

For example: rdesktop -s notepad.exe servername.domain.org

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator
postmaster:               chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
pgp:  http://www.silvervalley.k12.ca.us/~chobbs/key.asc