[K12OSN] What am I missing

I am trying to get the sound in my dumpster terminals to work.
The server is using an AMD Athalon 1gig with 1gig of RAM. The onboard sound chip is an AC-97 which works great in all modes.
I am running K12LTSP 4.0.1
The terminal has an AMD K6-2 400 with 256 Meg of Ram and a Sound Blaster CT4810 PCI card. When I try to use the mixer in the terminal I get the message about permissions which I have checked and did have to change. The message also suggested that something was either not turned on or wasn't installed. If that is the case I don't know what it is or where to find it. The XMMS (WinAmp) program opens and I can access the audio files and they appear to play but I can't hear them. I can see the audio files on a CD with GRIP again they appear to play but I can't her them. The sound card came out of a Windows machine where it was working so I believe the card is good.
I looked at the things for activating sound in the lts.conf file but I left it as it was especially since I'm using a PCI card not an ISA card.
What do I need to look at and do to make things work properly. Any and all help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bye
Pat