From: k12osn-bounces redhat com [mailto:k12osn-bounces redhat com] On
Behalf Of Eric Harrison
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 9:26 PM
To: robark telus net; Support list for opensource software in schools.
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] ReiserFS vs ext3 ?

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

>>From what I've read ReiserFS should be much faster with K12LTSP.
>>Anyone have
>personal experience using 4.01 (FC1) with ReiserFS ?
>3.1.2 (Redhat 9) does not have ReiserFS.

IIRC, RH9 does have ReiserFS. When you start an install, at the boot
prompt type "linux reiserfs" and it will let you format a partition as
ReiserFS. Same trick works with "linux xfs" and/or "linux jfs" as well
(I can't remember which fs is supported in which distro version)

I've had VERY BAD EXPERIENCES with reiserfs 3... so I personally
discourage people from using it on mission critical partitions. It is
not that reiserfs is unstable or buggy or anything nasty like that, it
is just that if something *DOES* go wrong, it will go *REALLY* wrong.
I've never been successful in recovering a corrupted reiserfs partition.

-Eric