[K12OSN] NIS and /home

Lewis Holcroft lewis at pcc.com
Thu Jun 17 15:24:29 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am having an interesting problem. I have an NIS server running on an
old RedHat 6.2 server. I am running ypbind on two LTSP 4.0.1 servers. I
am using rsync to create the /home/user files on the LTSP servers. I
would use NFS if I had a bandwidth to handle that option, but I do not.
Also I don't expect users to be changing a great deal.

I am able to log onto the LTSP server without a problem. Other users
can not. I have in the past used X on the 6.2 machine and I did get a
message the first time I logged onto the LTSP box that told me my old
setting had been updated.

None of the other users have done this. I am quite sure the problem is
that the appropriate .gconf directories don't exist.

So the question is. How can I create the necessary directories easily?
Also, Am I barking up the wrong tree? If so where should I be looking?

Thanks

Lewis
Lewis Holcroft
System Administrator