[K12OSN] Distributed Samba deployment opinions?

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Mon Jun 21 15:30:29 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 08:10, Shawn Powers wrote:
> Quentin Hartman wrote:
> > I have thought of a few solutions,
>
> My real quick "off the cuff" response is to make sure you check out
> pgina.xpasystems.com -- it's GPL, and has kept me from setting Samba up
> as anything more than a fileserver (ie, no Domain/AD stuff at all).  You
> can authenticate local boxes from a wide variety of places.  It's great.

I will check it out.

> Apart from that -- you mention going between buildings.  With the
> fileservers at each building, would users have separate documents at
> each building?  Is that OK?  Moving them, assuming a linux fileserver,
> is as simple as an rsync two-step if the person wishes to have documents
> moved (and with central authentication, ownership is already set)

The common case would be that people only have their home directories
stored at their home building, and should they move, the system is
"smart enough" to transparently connect to their "home server" even if
they are at another building. This is rare enough that rsyncing everyone
would be silly (not to mention I don't have the disc space to do that),
and the performance hit is acceptable. However, it is common enough that
it must be transparent to the user. I don't think moving their home
directory would be complex in any case, I mentioned it only to be
complete, it's the first part that's making me wonder.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-

Technology Coordinator