Re: [K12OSN] Help a newbie, too many variables...

Carl, there could be a couple of things wrong here:

1. Are you on the correct network to connect to your server? You need to be on the same network as your Eth0 network card on your server. While this may seem obvious, you should double check to make sure.

2. Is the card updated to a new enough version of PXE? Check to see if there is a firmware update for your card. I have a bunch of DELL GXa's which won't boot until I update the Bios (Which updates the firmware for the onboard NIC). I've also seen PCI cards which support PXE boot but won't boot to LTSP until they've been upgraded as well.

Hope this helps.

--Matt Ross

Carl Keil wrote:

Hi,

I got back from freegeek with my $20 thin client guinea pig.  It's a gateway
e-1000.  I looked online and the NIC is 10/100, and supports PXE booting.
128megs of ram.  P233.

So, now I'm trying to get my k12ltsp 4.0.1 install working properly.  At
first it wasn't getting an IP addy.  But now it is but the next line on the
bootup screen stalls at
It says:

PXE-EA1: No PXE Server found, using standard boot file.

tftp . . . . (and those dots take forever to appear).

Then it says.
TFTP open timeout.
TFTP open timeout .
Exiting PCNet-FAST PXE

I've gone over dhcpd.conf and lts.conf till I'm blue in the face.  I'm
pointing to a real kernel, etc.  But it's not even doing the tftp dance at
all.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

ck