Re: [K12OSN] Re: Routing

here is the information from an earlier post - even tho I can find it in the achives - it was in my ent folder

edit /etc/sysctrl.conf

you need these 2 lines
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
net.ipv4.conf.default.proxy_arp = 1

then add your routes like this
route add -net xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmaks xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

then make the config files that will reload those routes on a reboot
touch /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-ethx

where ethx is each of your interfaces that have routes associated with them

then grep your already setup routes into the config files you just created

ip route show | grep ethx | grep via | cut -d" " -f1,2,3 > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/router-ethx

do this for each interface that has routes configured for it replaceing ethx with eth0 etc

next edit those the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-ethx file that points to the interface the default route points to and remove the line that has default via in it.

Tim Litwiller wrote:

As mentioned in the other thread you will need to get each network segment on thier own subnet before you can hope to route between them.

once you have that planned out plan the routes that will be needed to tell the router what goes where.
I posted a how to setup a fedora core router email several months ago. I'll try to find it and repost

Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:

Have you checked /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward?

--TP

Sean Fichera wrote:

Hi Terrell and everyone

Still can get routing working this is it again and answers to questions.

Ok right now we are in a testing enviorment before we decide to take down the entire network.

to recap

we have a Linux Router running Fedora core2

4 ethernet ports

eth0  172.18.18.25 eth1  172.20.20.25
eth2  172.21.21.25
eth3  this one will be used later lets call it 172.22.22.25

A Squid Proxy
eth0 direct to broadband internet
eth1  172.20.20.26

One Windows client (there will be many later)
172.21.21.27

Currently Our subnet is 255.255.255.0 on all computers.

I attached a bitmap to show you