[K12OSN] Tux Math Question for Caleb

Caleb Wagnon cwagnon at redbugmail.k12.ar.us
Fri Mar 12 09:21:00 UTC 2004

Jim Kronebusch said:
> I saw in the Tux Paint website post you said that you run Tux Math and
> Tux Paint on 60 Terminals and 30 lab machines.  What type of hardware
> are you using that allows you to play Tux Math in an acceptable fashion?
> My experience is that it runs great on a local machine, but my LTSP
> experience is very..very sluggish.  I think both programs would be an
> awesome fit in our lower grade schools but I just can't get the speed
> where it is useable.  If you could fill in the following list it would
> be extremely helpful:
>
> Server Hardware:
Dual 2 ghz Xeon, 4gb memory, Scsi Harddrive

> Network Hardware:
100mb to the clients (going to gig on the server side soon)

> Terminal Hardware:
Thinknic terminals (not recommended....but not available anymore anyway) These
consist of cyrix 233 processors and 64mb ram.

> Anything else you feel relevant:
Tux Math and paint are not resource hogs. The only thing I can see that would
slow you down would be your network. 100mb to the clients and gig to a big
server should work great. If you don't have as many clients as me 100 mb all
the way should be fine.

> I have a bunch of schools in our area on the verge of switching next
> year to LTSP for labs and teacher machines simply based off of a verbal
> argument, and when it comes time to wow them with actual hardware I want
> to be sure I can do it.
>
> Thanks

No problem.

--