[K12OSN] Ideal Server for Max users

Richard K. Ingalls ringalls at glenwood.k12.mo.us
Tue Mar 16 15:34:53 UTC 2004

Florian Mettetal wrote:

> I was wondering what some would recommend for a K12ltsp server? I see
> the limitations in my school being both budget and bandwith.
>
> The primary question I have is, through a gigabit nic what would be the
> maximum amount of clients before saturation?
>
> And for that many clients.. how much RAM?
>
> My goal is to build a server box that can maintain as many clients as
> possible for less than 900$. The biggest debate at the moment is AMD vs.
> Intel!

Well for that amount of money you can't do too many clients because
it's all about the RAM in the server!  Next importance is your
bandwidth.  Gig-e is great because some apps will eat that bandwidth
up.  BUT first and foremost is the RAM.  I have successfully put in a
10 client lab with 1 GB of RAM.  Others on the list have put in 24
clients, but with 4 GB of RAM.  To put in 4 GB of RAM would spend your
entire budget!

I just finished installing a LTSP lab with 5 clients and one NEW
server & laser printer for $900.  The server is AMD Athlon 1500+, 512
Mb RAM, 10/100 NICs (cost me about $400).  The laser printer cost
another $250.  Had to purchase a switch, video card for server, cat5e
cable, etc.

I think you could do something similar, but put in at least 1 GB RAM,
maybe a Gig-e NIC on the server out to the switch (with one Gig-e
uplink port).  Put in as much RAM as you can afford.  Also, think
about purchasing NICs with bootROMs on them ...

http://www.disklessworkstations.com/cgi-bin/web/100003.html

... this way you don't need a boot floppy.

Richard K. Ingalls
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District
West Plains, MO