[K12OSN] Question on diskless vs diskfull clients & how to get them

Joe Faletra jfaletra at sau16.org
Fri Mar 19 02:12:35 UTC 2004

I have been doing testing for the past week and here is what I
concluded.

Disk or diskless makes no difference on network load.   I am assuming
you are talking about the HDD in the system.

I have used a pentium 150 with 32mb ram and got satisfactory
performance.  The celeron 2ghz systems with 256k (dell full systems)
run fast also.  I also purchased a freedom 9 (www.amer.com) and it was
virtually plug and play (remember to enable PXE boot in bios)

I personally have concluded that for thin clients you can use just
about anything.  I have noticed that it makes life a lot easier if you
use a supported video card.

I hope this helped.

Good luck!

Joe Faletra
School Administrative Unit 16
Districts Manager for Technology Support Services
T: 603-775-8576
F: 603-775-8487
http://www.sau16.org