[K12OSN] Question on diskless vs diskfull clients & how to get them

Chris Kacoroski ckacoroski at nsd.org
Thu Mar 18 23:45:47 UTC 2004

Hi,

We are considering a LTSP project and am wondering the following:

1.  If there is any difference to how LTSP is set and configured if you
have a diskless or diskfull client.  Does it make a difference on the
network load?  Server load?  With a diskfull client I am assuming you
could cache some stuff on the disk.

2. Options for getting clients.  So far I am looking at:

a) buy diskless workstation terminals like the Term 150
b) buy parts and have the local kids build small form factor diskless
workstations
c) use old macs (of which we have a lot).  concerned about maintenance
issues here
d) donated pc's.  concerned about variability and viability here.

What have you found out that works and what doesn't work.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

cheers,

ski

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
   connected to the entire universe"		John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, ckacoroski at nsd.org, 425-489-6263