[K12OSN] Mac Client Limitations (long email)

jamie mcparlandj at newberg.k12.or.us
Wed Mar 24 17:37:28 UTC 2004

Maybe now what your looking for but heres what I do.

mac OSX Server 10.2 installed on an imac in each subnet with netboot server
SW loaded.

I use a netrestore image from bombich.com

I use our novell dhcp server for IP addresses.

I host the final disk image on our more powerful Linux file server.

So what happens is the client mac boots up. Gets a DHCP address, gets a
system folder from the imac. The system folder it get is all set up to
connect to the linux box and install the disk image.

It's super slick. All I have to do is power on the machine, hold down the n
key till the flashing earth pops up and that¹s it. I come back 10 minutes
later and it's reimaged and booted into the new OS!

Check out netrestore on bombich.com for more detailed info on how it works.
- Jamie