[K12OSN] OT - Upgrading LDAP entries from 2.2.7 for Samba 3 not happening

jamie mcparlandj at newberg.k12.or.us
Fri Mar 26 18:29:24 UTC 2004

Sorry to post this to this list, but I got no response from the samba list
and kids come back to school on Monday!

I thought maybe some of you might have gone through this.

We have been using samba 2.2.7 for awhile now with ldap no problem. We are
ready to move to Samba 3 though, and this is where the trouble begins.
We do not have a domain set up. We have a few samba boxes and they just use
the ldap servers to get their passwords from. (no roaming desktops or
anything like that.)

I did a bit of reading up and see that I need to run the convertSambaAccount
script against an ldif export.

So here's what I did

ldapsearch -LL -x -h localhost -D
"uid=root,ou=People,dc=newberg,dc=k12,dc=or,dc=us" -b
"ou=People,dc=newberg,dc=k12,dc=or,dc=us" -w > old.ldif

I got an ldif no problem. I don't really know what a SID is or what's it
for. Something to do with having a domain (which we don't)

So I try this

[root at ldap /]# net getlocalsid
bash: net: command not found

So i can't get the SID from this machine.

I decide to just make one up and try that.

/convertSambaAccount --input=old.ldif --output new.ldif --changetype=modify
--sid=S-1-0-0

I end up with this!

/convertSambaAccount line 176, <GEN0> line 1008.
/convertSambaAccount line 172, <GEN0> line 1009.
/convertSambaAccount line 176, <GEN0> line 1009.
/convertSambaAccount line 172, <GEN0> line 1010.
/convertSambaAccount line 176, <GEN0> line 1010.
/convertSambaAccount line 172, <GEN0> line 1011.
/convertSambaAccount line 176, <GEN0> line 1011.
/convertSambaAccount line 172, <GEN0> line 1012.
/convertSambaAccount line 176, <GEN0> line 1012.
/convertSambaAccount line 172, <GEN0> line 1013.
/convertSambaAccount line 176, <GEN0> line 1013.
/convertSambaAccount line 172, <GEN0> line 1014.
/convertSambaAccount line 176, <GEN0> line 1014.

ugh! Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jamie