[K12OSN] openMosix test packages

Shawn Austin austinsr at uindy.edu
Tue Mar 30 10:03:02 UTC 2004

I have used openmosix on and off for about a year or so now.
At one point I had a cluster of 10 2.8 GHz machines running a load
balancing setup for the ltsp server that I was running.
There are a few things that you need to know before you use this as your
live setup though.
Programs that use shared memory usually die when they migrate.
Openoffice has never worked well in that setup.  It would occasionally
die when migrated to another, idle machine.  Openoffice will almost
always opt to migrate because of the high processor usage.  Java apps,
for the most part, do not survive the migration, and will sometimes lock
up X when they die.

Another thing that you should keep in mind using client stations as part
of your load balancing cluster is that sometimes people just hit the
power button on them.  Whatever processes that were on that box will go
down with the box if it is not cleanly rebooted.

Imagine working on an important paper in openoffice.  Someone next to
you has their station lock up, so they hit the power button.  Your paper
you were working on was running off of the box that just got rebooted.
You loose your paper...

If you do decide to use this setup, make sure you test the hell out of
all the apps before you go live with it.  You might also want to
disconnect the power button on the front of the case.

Good luck,

Shawn Austin