[k12OSN] LCD monitor question

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Mar 30 21:45:34 UTC 2004

Luis,

Opinions vary, but here goes:

Since video is THE most important feedback I get from a desktop computing
device with current technology, I am personally willing to commit up to
50% of my budget on adequate display technology for an LTSP environment.
  I would not spend additional money to go to a smaller screen, even if
there were power savings.

My suggestion is to spend that money of getting a quarter or half the lab
set up on 17" LCD's with 1024x768, and when you get more, incrementally grow.

I also am a strong believer in optimized, silent, fanless thin clients,
but that priority would only be after I'd gotton all 17" LCD's for the
entire lab.  Those CRT's put out more heat than anything, driving up AC
costs, and consuming power.  The CPU's on donated PC's converted to thin
clients don't consume nearly as much power or generate the sort of heat
that the CRT's do, so they should follow IMHO.

Regards,

BC