[K12OSN] Using LTSP 4.0.1 on a Windows network

Luke Maslany l.maslany at jmc.ac.uk
Fri May 7 14:23:38 UTC 2004

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the following
scenario:

The student network is a mixture of Windows 2003 servers and Windows
2000 Professional clients.  DCHP is enabled.  I would like to introduce
Linux to the network.

Rather than buying (or revamping) old terminals, can I use a boot image
on an existing workstation without modifying the locally installed
content?  (I'm pretty sure that this is one of the main points of a
thin-client solution, but I thought I should check)

As disabling the DHCP services for the windows platform is not an option
(in-house restrictions), can the boot image use a DHCP config from the
Windows DHCP service?

>From what reading I have done, is it possible to create a boot image
that obtains DHCP information from a DHCP server over none-standard
ports - an option on ROM-o-matic.net is to obtain such information over
ports 1067 and 1068, and if it is, how can the DHCP server be configured
to answer these clients?

As I have mentioned on a previous post, I am new to Linux.  If I have
missed some point of information that is needed and is glaringly obvious
by it's absence, please let me know.

Luke Maslany

Luke Maslany

l.maslany at jmc.ac.uk