[K12OSN] 2.6 kernel on 4.0.1?

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sat May 15 16:05:28 UTC 2004

On Sat, 15 May 2004, anthony baldwin wrote:

>For my next trick I am considering actually updating to a 2.6 kernel.
>Anyone using 2.6 now?
>I've never updated a kernel besides with yum or apt.
>I found this:
>http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20040315152255759
>Is this advisable for a largely clueless newbie (2 years using k12ltsp)?
>I'm always eager to learn more, but not at the expense of hosery.
>(well, except that it gives me excuses to annoy the good folk on this
>list with more stupid questions...)
>The howto makes it look rather simple.
>Or, is there a 2.6 in our repos, so I could do a
>yum install kernel-2.6...?
>
>tony

This is *not* a good idea, but it is fun ;-)

I've done this on a few systems (K12LTSP 3.1.2, not K12LTSP 4.0.1)
without a problem, but your milage may vary. Have good backups...

edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources, and uncomment the line:

	apt arjan-2.6-kernel-i386 http://people.redhat.com ~arjanv/2.5/ kernel

you should now be able to run this command to install a 2.6 + all of
the needed utilities:

	up2date -i -f kernel

Good luck ;-)

-Eric