[K12OSN] Freezing!?!

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Sat May 22 05:32:01 UTC 2004

"Secure Mode: Can prevent unauthorized access and possible damage to the
system using software protection. Secure Mode allows the Network
Administrator to lock both the power and reset button, thus preventing
unauthorized access to the use of the servers."

Intel server boards have 2 passwords. One for Admin and one for user. If you
set the user password you also get a timer option for "Secure mode". I
believe this is ONLY supported under windows as it locks the keyboard and
mouse and takes control away from the OS. Linux kernels don't like this and
will panic. That explains why my display and processess were still perfectly
active when the system went down. Also, another piece of evidence would be
that it would usually happen after 1 min of no keyboard of mouse activity
(default timer value). Also, my power button could not turn off the system
(very weird if you have never experienced it) Intel should not make their
BIOS firmware OS specific. With Micro$oft buying a large stake of Pheonix I
think this situation is going to get worse.

Robert Arkiletian

PS
Sudev, if you can let Naba know that I am using his great IDE Anjuta to teach
C++ to high school students in Canada. I give him and his team a big THANK
YOU.